As an employee and shareholder of a start-up / early stage company an employees responsibilities are often in many different functional areas and include a a wide variety of activities.
Working with Tel-e-Atrics over the past 2 years I have experienced this first hand. When people ask me what I have been doing I say a little of everything. That probably is not the best answer. I have been thinking about this more lately and have been trying to put together a better answer.
Primary activities that I have been involved with are:
- New Business Development - developing relationships with partners to grow the business
- Fund Raising - Business Plan Development, Pro Forma Financial Statement Development, Talking to investors - Angels and VC, BP Presentations, etc.
- Marketing - Website development, Marketing Collateral Development, Positioning - VOC
- Sales - Growing business, Forecasting
- Accounting - Quick Book Management, Cash Flow Management, Audit, Pricing
- Daily Operations - Developing and managing Systems - technical, installation, Managing Business Partners
- Business Model Development - Evaluating how and where to grow business and determining how company is going to make a profit
I don't know what business title this would fall under nor do I care. It has been a priceless experience that I can leverage throughout the rest of my life. I have heard a number of entrepreneurs say that you will learn 10 X as much in one year at a start-up as you would at a fortune 500 company. I agree as I have been doing both and have learned a lot more from the start-up.
In continuing to try and figure out what is my why? I know that a part of it is the opportunity to continue to learn in a fast paced environment.